Since my retirement on the July 1, 2015, I have devoted my time to activities that I like and that have little do with my past occupation.
However, there remains two sites that are linked to my previous employment :
- METEO (machins pour l'enseignement de la théorie économique avec ordinateur) et
- DEA (Data Envelopment Analysis).
About this Site
Computer science has fascinated me for a long time. Among other things, I'm interested in programming and home automation. The pages that are found here are mostly related to these two subjects. To tell the truth, the site is a little luxury, an indulgence that is not without interest for me. By writing down the steps followed in any procedure, I greatly increase the possibility of repeating them later when I will probably have forgotten the details. Similarly, by describing an algorithm meticulously, this leads me to think about it and often allows me to improve it.
I decided to publish these posts as a way to encourage myself to write with some care and hoping they can serve others.
About the Appearance of the Posts
All pages follow a common template. From top to bottom the following elements are found:
- a title bar that also contains the site icon,
- a menu with six or seven choices depending on the page,
- a personalized Google search box,
- the date of creation of the page and, if applicable, the date of the last modification of the page,
- at the bottom of each page, there is a link to send an e-mail if you have any questions or comments about it.
Some pages belong to a sequence of notes on a given subject. In that case, these pages also display links to the previous and following posts at the beginning and at the end of the text.
The menu choices are:
- A list of the most recent posts no matter its subject.
- This page.
- A list of the most recent posts that deal with programming subjects.
- Home Automation
- A list of the most recent posts that relate to home automation.
- A list of resources, such as programs and scripts, that are available at various locations on the site.
- A complete list of all posts on the site in chronological order.
- Several pages are available in English and French. You can access the translated page with this choice if available.
I use an HTML pre-processor, GTML, to simplify the maintenance of this site and to ensure consistency in the presentation of its Web pages. If your site is composed of static pages, then you may be interested in doing the same.
Unless otherwise stated, all the source code that I have written and made availabel on this site is released under the terms of BSD style license:
Copyright (c) 2013 - 2017, Michel Deslierres
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
By all means, use the code if you find it useful, just don’t pass it off as your work. Furthermore, suggestions or constructive critiques are most welcome.
As the license says, all the source code is provided free of charge to do as you wish with it. You could even sell it. It is rather unethical that someone would want to profit in such a way, and it is hard to understand why someone would pay for something that is available for free, but that is what the license says.
As for the texts found on this site, I retain full rights. In the future, I will look into Creative Commons types of licenses but for the time being, these web pages may not be reproduced in any form. Please link to a page if you think it would be useful to others.